If you are a parent of minor children who are counting on you, your estate plan must begin with ensuring your children would always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At McRee Law, PLLC, one of my areas of greatest expertise is in planning for the well-being and care of the children you love.
Without advance legal planning for the care of your children, if the unthinkable happens to you, here’s what could happen:
● There are unscrupulous people out there who make it their business to look at the public records to find out when 18 year old's are getting that inheritance check;would very likely only be temporary, but trust me, you never want your children in the arms of strangers. Not even for a minute;
● Your children could be put into the custody and care of someone you would never want, like that one family member who has good intentions, but you’d never want raising your kids;
● A judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, will decide who will raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would ever want;
● Your family could get into a long, drawn out custody fight or there could be a challenge to the guardians you have designated;
● Up to 5% of the value of your assets could be lost to court costs and other unnecessary fees through the probate process, a court process that can tie up your assets for years and deprive your kids of the resources they need to live comfortably, which can totally be avoided with advance legal planning;
● When your kids turn 18, they get a check for whatever assets are left;
● There are unscrupulous people out there who make it their business to look at the public records to find out when 18 year olds are getting that inheritance check;
● The vast majority of estate planning attorneys do not address these issues, and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
Yes, these things scare me too. That’s why I offer a Kids Protection Plan® with every estate plan I do for families with young children.
In 10 minutes, this FREE website will help you protect your kids if something unthinkable happens to you prior to creating your formal estate plan. Think of it as the first step to ensuring your kids are raised by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what.
A Kids Protection Plan® is a set of instructions, legal documents and even an ID card for your wallet, which you need to have if you have kids at home who count on you for their well-being and care.
If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan® will make sure your children are never taken into the custody of Child Protective Services, strangers, or the care of anyone you wouldn’t want because the authorities don't have clear instructions from you. And your Kids Protection Plan® will ensure your children are raised by people you choose, not someone chosen by a Judge who doesn’t know you.
To get started with your Kids Protection Plan®, contact me.
You can also start on your own by clicking here!
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this Web site, in whole or in part, or communication with McRee Law, PLLC, via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between us and any recipient. You should not send us any confidential information in response to this webpage. Such responses will not create a lawyer-client relationship, and whatever you disclose to us will not be privileged or confidential unless we have agreed to act as your legal counsel and you have executed a written engagement agreement with McRee Law, PLLC. The material on this website may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content and interpretation of the law addressed herein is subject to revision. We disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law. Do not act or refrain from acting upon this information without seeking professional legal counsel. This website is for informational purposes only.